Do I Need a Will?

Estate planning is an important process that everyone should consider.

The key estate planning documents suggested for every adult in California are:

  1. Will
    a document expressing what should be done with your assets after you pass away, as well as nomination of guardian for minor children);
  2. Advance Healthcare Declaration
    - a California form that combines a Living Will (artificial life preservation) and Power of Attorney for Healthcare; (naming another to make decisions regarding your healthcare); and
  3. Durable Power of Attorney for Asset Management and Personal Affairs
    Naming someone to manage your finances and personal affairs when you are absent or unable to act

It's important to note that without formal power of attorney documents in place, healthcare providers, financial institutions, schools, etc. are prohibited from sharing your personal information or taking direction on your behalf from anyone other than you. 

Here's a link to an excellent New York Times article covering this topc.

TrustCounsel PC is committed to ensuring everyone in our community has adequate legal protections in place to keep them out of conflict and out of court, at an affordable price. Reach out us to learn more.